For many of you freezing temps are just around the corner! Now is the time to prepare your pond for winter hibernation.
1) Remove any tropical plants from your pond. If you have a greenhouse, you may move them to your greenhouse for the winter. If not, tropical bog plants and viviparous waterlilies may be brought inside to a sunny room, keep in pots in water and they will winter over. Otherwise, discard.
2) Hardy plants, cut back so that there is at least 6 to 8 inches of growth and make sure the root level is below the freezing level.
3) Stop feeding your fish once the water temperature is 50 degrees F or lower.
4) Keep your pond from freezing solid with an aerator and/or a deicer.
5) Cover your pond with netting to keep leaves and debris out of your pond.